If you like the artwork on the right you'll love our new t-shirts! Click the DONATE button below, make a donation of $25 or more to the Cabal Fang Temple Fund, and we'll send you one in appreciation. Don't forget to include your size and address in the memo area when you donate.
Full Thrust: Training Involution #99
This session (excluding the meditation) is only 16 minutes long. But if you pull out the stops and you do not slack it might take you 2 days to recover. So warm up fully, listen to your body, pay attention to form and have a care.
- 4 mins. of Dumbbell Thrusters. This one comes by way of the incredible Dan John. Set timer for 8 rounds of :20/:10 (Tabata rounds). Pick up two dumbbells. Unless you're Captain America, I recommend using dumbbells about 10% of your body weight. Complete as many Thrusters as you can in 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, repeat.
- 4 mins. of one calisthenic with perfect form. Pick any calisthenic you want and do it for four minutes. If you need ideas, I suggest Jumping Jacks or Steam Engines for beginners, Push-ups, Squats or Lunges for intermediates, and Bodybuilders, Burpees or perhaps Sit-put Push-ups for advanced folks. Need even more ideas? Download my book The Calisthenics Codex. Take as few 12-count breaks as you need in order to finish.
- 4 mins of one grappling technique. I chose a Straight Shot, but you could take an Angle Pick, Duck Under, Arm Drag, doesn't matter. If you don't have a partner, do them solo, shadow-fighting-style. Take as few 12-count breaks as you need in order to finish.
- 4 mins of double-end ball. Set up your ball and get after it as fast as you can. If you don't have a double-end ball, make one yourself with these instructions or substitute 4 mins. of shadowboxing with 1 lb. hand weights. Take as few 12-count breaks as you need in order to finish.
- Meditation on the nature of Spring. Modern people get really happy about the arrival of Spring. But Spring was a mixed bag for the ancients. They didn't have year-round access to factory-farmed food. So although Spring brought them warmth and sunshine, it was a difficult time. Winter food stores were used up, people were on edge after being cooped up all winter with animals in their midst, and on top of all that they had to find the strength to plant crops -- after which it would be weeks before even early crops like lettuce came in. Perhaps this is why the darkest holidays, like Passover and Good Friday fall during this season, followed by some of the most bright, like Holi, Holla Mohalla, Ostara and Easter. Set a timer for 10 minutes. Sit in your meditative posture of choice, regulate your breathing, close your eyes and experience Spring for what it truly is for all people, all of nature in all times.